Bruce Benedict of Cardiphonia (a great site on worship, liturgy, and the synthesis of the traditional and the modern) offers a full description of these 6 fundamentals that I find right on target…and convicting. Here’s a summary:
1. Worship Leaders must cultivate a life of faith.
2. Worship Leaders are called to be shepherds and guardians.
3. Worship Leaders are called to be great musicians.
4. Worship Leaders are called to be administrators.
5. Worship Leaders are called to be liturgists.
6. Worship Leaders are called with a calling.
Hmm…a lot of this sounds strikingly similar to pastoral ministry. Maybe worship leaders are supposed to be more than just rock stars.